World Landscape Architecture calls for entries for the 2021 WLA Awards, the annual international landscape architecture awards that seek to honour landscape architects for their outstanding work and promote the profession across the world. The Awards provides landscape architects and designers from all countries to be recognised on the world stage by their profession.
Past winners of WLA Awards include Sasaki, dwg., Lab D+H, LANDPROCESS, OJB Landscape Architecture, SHUISHI 水石设计, 大小景观Atelier Scale, MKSK, Gossamer, OLIN, Stoss Landscape Urbanism, LandLAB + Monk McKenzie, SLA, PLACE, C.F. Møller Architects, ASDISKY, Ken Smith Workshop. Student Awards have been awarded to students from the University of Toronto, Harvard GSD, Beijing Forestry University, Wuhan Polytechnic University, University of Moratuwa and many more.
The 2021 WLA Awards now include the Professional Awards and the Student Awards with two juries.
WLA is honoured to have ten experienced jurors including landscape architecture professionals and educators to judge the 2021 WLA Awards.
Christopher Fannin ASLA
Senior Principal, Managing Director
InSite – A division of KEO International Consultants
Claire Agre, PLA, ASLA
Principal and Cofounder of Unknown Studio Landscape Architecture & Urban Design.
Martin Koenig, CMLI
Associate Director of Martha Schwartz Partners (MSP)
Monika Nair, CMLI(Design)UK
Practice Head, Landscape, Urban Design & Planning
Founder & Creative Director of OSD Outside
Founding Partner at studiolibani;
Part-time Lecturer at the Department of Landscape Architecture at the American University of Beirut;
Associate Professor of Landscape Architecture
Professor and Chair, Department of Landscape Architecture, School of Architecture, Soochow University, Suzhou, China
Founding Principle, E.A.S. T.Scape
Associate Professor of Landscape Architecture University of Texas at Austin
Founding Principal of FORGE Landscape Architecture
Simon M. Bussiere
Assistant Professor, Landscape Architecture
School of Architecture, University of Hawaii at Mānoa
Landscape Architecture and Landscape Design Firms can enter the Professional Awards.
Organisations and companies may enter landscape architecture projects on behalf of the designer. However, they must have written permission from the landscape architect or design firm to submit the project.
All landscape architects, landscape design, urban design students who are currently studying or who have graduated in the past two years (2019-2021) are eligible to enter the Student Awards. The majority of the project (submission) must be landscape architecture in focus. The submitted work needs to have been completed whilst attending studies.
Students can enter as an individual or group (only one registration is required). If an individual is submitting group work, they need to provide credits for all team members.
Projects must be a concept or built during 2017-2020.
Previous winners of WLA Awards cannot be submitted. Entries may be submitted in more than one category. All entrants can enter multiple projects but must purchase a registration for each entry.
Professional Awards include the following categories:
- Built – Small Landscape Design (Smaller than 1,000 sq. m/10000 sq. ft)
- Built – Large Landscape Design (Greater than 1000 sq. m/10000 sq. ft)
- Built – Urban & Regional Design*
- Built – Residential Design (including house gardens, apartment/condos, etc)
- Conceptual Design
- Conceptual Analysis and Planning
- Government Award* (local, state/provincial) – only government organisations can enter.
- WLA Medal* (Firm or Individual)
Student Awards including the following categories:
*New Awards categories for 2021
Go to Judging Criteria for more information on each category
- Built and Conceptual categories – Award of Excellence (1 per category) – WLA Award Trophy, WLA Award Certificate, Featured on WLA during 2021.
- Built and Conceptual categories – Merit Award (2 per category) -WLA Award Certificate, Featured on WLA during 2021.
- Built and Conceptual categories – Honourable Mention (up to 2 per category) – WLA Award Certificate, Featured on WLA during 2021.
- Government Award – WLA Award Certificate, Featured on WLA during 2021.
- Editor’s Award – WLA Award Trophy, Featured on WLA in 2021.
- WLA Medal – A Medal and Company Profile on WLA and $500AUD Reward (paid by Paypal)
Student Award categories – Award of Excellence (1 per category) – WLA Award Trophy, WLA Award Certificate, Featured on WLA in 2021. $250AUD Reward (paid by Paypal)
Student Award – Merit Award (2 per category) – WLA Award Certificate, Featured on WLA in 2021.
Student Award – Honourable Mention (up to 2 per category) – WLA Award Certificate, Featured on WLA in 2021.
Shortlists for Professional and Student Awards
All shortlisted entries will receive a certificate which will be provided after the winners are announced.
The selection of the Awards is up to the jury’s discretion. They may decide not to award all awards. (e.g. Award of Excellence, Merit Award, Honorable Mentions).
All entrants are eligible to be published on the WLA website during 2021. The Editor of WLA has discretion on publication of submissions.
The Awards submission should include the following:
- A maximum five (5) pages (A3 / 11×17 format – landscape orientation) using the WLA template will only be accepted (which is supplied as a download link via email after purchasing an registration entry)
- One (1) page of text (maximum 500 words – no images) and four (4) pages of images with a caption per image (25 words maximum). Submissions must be in English.
- The entry number (this is the order number provided via email) and project name shall be shown in the locations as per the template.
- No company or designers or students names or recognisable graphics/logos within the text or images.
- Awards submission shall be less than 10Mb in pdf format. The pdf file only needs to be screen resolution (96 dpi) for juries to review.
- The Awards submission should be submitted via email to [email protected] by the deadline. The entry file name should have the entry number, entry name and category. E.g. 60125-Garden Rooms-Built-Residential.pdf. The submission email should include a declaration that the person or company submitting the project owns the rights or has permission to submit the project and agrees to protect World Landscape Architecture from any claims for breach of copyright. E.g. XXXX Company declares that we own the rights or has permission to submit this project and agrees to protect World Landscape Architecture from any claims from the project or image owner.
- Submission Email should include Project Credits
For Professional Awards – Entry Number, Name of Entrant, Project Name, Credits for consultants/collaborators, Image and/or Photographer credits
For Student Awards – include a copy of Student ID/s in jpg format and a list of Credits – Student/s Names, Observer/Supervisor, School, Course.
Registration Entry Fees
Professional Award Categories – $150AUD (approx. 130USD, 105EUR, 750CNY)
Government Award Category – $50AUD (approx. 43USD, 40EUR, 250CNY)
Student Award Categories – $50AUD (approx. 43USD, 40EUR, 250CNY)
Entry Registration Fees can be paid in the WLA Shop via Credit Card, Alipay, Paypal.
Entry Registration Fee Deadline
Entry Registration Fees must be purchased before Friday, March 19, 2021 at 11:59pm London, UK
Questions regarding submissions before Monday, March 22, 2021 at 11:59pm London, UK
Submit any questions to [email protected] in English
All entries must be submitted via email before Friday, March 26, 2021 at 11:59pm London, UK