World Landscape Architecture calls for entries for the 2023 Student WLA Awards, an annual international awards program that recognises the work of current and graduate students. Students often explore new ideas, typologies and paradigms, providing the industry with fresh ideas that challenge and further the discourse of landscape architecture.
The 2023 Student WLA Awards has a world-class jury to review and acknowledge the best student work in design, research and analysis. This year the jury includes the following jurors
Assistant Professor in Landscape Architecture – School of Environmental Design and Rural Development (SEDRD) – University of Guelph.
Professor of Cities and Landscapes – University of Greenwich
Visiting Professor at Politecnico di Milano
L. Irene Compadre, PLA ASLA
Founding Principal, Design Director – Arbolope Studio
Lecturer – Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts at Washington University in St. Louis
Zheng Xiaodi, Ph.D., RLA, ASLA, CHSLA,
Associate Professor and Assistant Dean – Tsinghua University School of Architecture
Vice Chair of the Department of Landscape Architecture
Founding Director of the Center for Brownfields Research
Entrants can enter the following categories:
- Conceptual Small Design (Smaller than 1,000 sq. metres/10000 sq. foot) – landscape design concepts (examples: gardens, pocket parks, art installations, temporary installations, memorials, etc)
- Conceptual Large Design (Greater than 1000 sq. metres/10000 sq. foot) landscape design concepts (examples: waterfront, brownfield, greenfield, large park, wetlands, repurposing etc)
- Conceptual Analysis and Planning – design or research that must include analysis and planning of a site. (Do not submit pure design projects that have no analysis)
- Research Award – recent research thesis or paper submitted to a University. (Do not submit Design Thesis)
- Graduate Award – Design, Analysis or Research project submitted to a University.
If you doubt which category you should enter, review the past winners.
Conceptual Awards – Students should be enrolled in a university program including Landscape Architecture, Landscape Engineering, Landscape Design, Architecture, Urban Design, Urban Planning, Environmental Design, and Horticulture or similar courses.
Research and Graduate Awards – Students should be enrolled in or have graduated from a university program in the past two years (2021-2023), including Landscape Architecture, Landscape Engineering, Landscape Design, Architecture, Urban Design, Urban Planning, Environmental Design, and Horticulture or similar courses.
Entries that have won an award (Award of Excellence, Merit Award or Honour Award) in previous years are not eligible for entry.
Students enrolled in courses at the same University as a juror are eligible to enter. However, the juror will be ineligible to score any student from their university. An average score from the other jurors will be used.
Registrations Extended to Thursday, 28 September, 2023 at 11:59PM, Sydney Australia Time
Submissions Close – Friday, 29 September 2023 at 11:59PM, Sydney Australia, Time
Please pay attention to the timezones and your timezone. Late entries will not be accepted.
The entries are a maximum five (5) A3 format pages (including Project Description Page and Image Pages) collated into one pdf (single pages not spreads) for judging. Entries must use the Entry Template that is provided via download link after purchasing the registration.
- Project Description Page is the first page is one (1) page of text (maximum 500 words – no images)
- Images Pages are the next four (4) pages with project images (multiple images can be placed on
each image page). Each image can include a 25-word maximum caption. The captions are optional. Do not include large amounts of text on images for Conceptual category entries. You can include short labels (place names, legends, etc) but not paragraphs of text.
For the Research category only, you can use the Images pages to include graphs, charts, maps, etc along with an additional 500 words of text. You should also include any references (this is not included in the 500 words)
- Complete the page footer, which must include the Project Name (name of the project), Category
and Entry Number.
- The entry number (the entry number is the same as order number provided via email) and project name shall be shown in the locations as per the template.
- Do not change the font, font style or font size in the template for any text including the footer.
- No student or university names or recognisable graphics/logos within the text or images. You will provide the student/s name and information in the Entry Email
- Student Award submissions shall be less than 10Mb in pdf format. The pdf file only needs to be screen resolution (96 dpi) for juries to review.
- Submissions must be in English
- All submissions must be submitted by email to [email protected] and include the following
Attachment (we do not accept links to services such as dropbox or QQ)
– Entry PDF file – file named with Entry number, Project Name, Category (E.g. 61025-Green Garden-Conceptual Small.pdf)
– Subject – Entry Number, Project Name, Category (e.g. 61025-Green Garden-Conceptual Small)
– Entry Number, Project Name
– A list of student/s entering, university name, program (e.g. landscape architecture) and supervisor (if applicable)
– A copy of the Student ID or IDs if a group submission in jpg format
– Image Credits
– Was artificial intelligence used in the production of images or text for this entry (Yes/No). If Yes what was produced using artificial intelligence?
- Before submitting, ensure that you have thoroughly checked the pdf files before submitting. We will no longer accept updated or revised entries.
The registration fee is $50 AUD (approx. 34USD, 240CNY, 27GBP, 32EUR) per entry payable by credit card, alipay, or Paypal via the WLA Shop. You can enter more than one project.
The following awards may be awarded to entrants
- Award of Excellence – includes a digital pdf certificate and $AUD250 prize money and publication on WLA.
- Merit Award – includes a digital pdf certificate.
- Honour Award – includes a digital pdf certificate.
Shortlisted entries will receive a shortlisted digital pdf certificate.
Is the registration for one or more categories?
A WLA Student Awards Registration is for one (1) entry in any of the WLA Student award categories.
My entry was shortlisted last year. Can I enter it again?
Yes, you can enter a shortlisted award that did not win an Award of Excellence, Merit or Honour Award.
Can I enter two categories?
Only if the entry meets the eligibility criteria of the category. You will need to purchase a registration for each entry.
I can’t find my order/entry number?
The order number you receive after purchasing a registration entry is your entry number and can be found in the first email you receive. If you do not receive your order email with 24-48 hours after purchasing, please contact [email protected] A purchase with multiple entries will receive separate emails with additional order/entry numbers within 24-48 hours.
There are multiple files in the zip/rar file. Which one do I use?
We provide the template in various file formats, including Indesign, PDF, EPS and Powerpoint. You only need to use one format to create your entry submission, which should be in one pdf file.
Can I put images on the first page?
No, the first page is for text only. No images, graphics, logos or other representation should be placed on the first page.
Can I put more than one image per image page?
Yes, you can place as many images on one page (excluding the Project Description Page) as you wish.
Can I change the border, font, layout, etc of the Template?
No changes should be made to the template to maintain equality between the entries. The font, border, entry number location and size, and layout should be as supplied in the template.
Can I put text on the images?
Text can only be put on images to provide labels or critical information such as labels, place names, chart title or axis, legends, section title, etc on a plan or diagram or an image caption (25 words or less). No long text such as paragraphs, etc. should be placed on images. The only exception is the Research category entries.
Can I include links (to websites or videos) in the entry submission?
No, the submission should be plain text and images.
Can I include a video or audio in the entry submission?
No. As the jurors volunteer their time, they have a limited amount of time to review entries and therefore do not have time to review videos or audio submissions.
Can I send the entry pdf file as a link?
No. Do not send any links to services such as wetransfer, dropbox, onedrive, QQ or similar. Any submission with a file link will not be accepted.