Green Park, a business community near Reading, designed in the mid-1990s, recently won a prestigious UK Civic Trust Award (2014). Place Design and Planning, a London-based landscape architecture and urban design practice, has been responsible for the 195 acres landscape scheme and continues to develop it with the current owners, Oxford Properties, and the estates management company, Broadgate Estates.
Continue reading Green Park creates a business park with community and environmental credentials
Gustafson Porter winning design for Valencia Parque Central
Kathryn Gustafson has been awarded the Arnold W. Brunner Memorial Prize for her contribution to architecture. Kathryn Gustafson, a landscape architect and the founding partner in two offices, Gustafson Guthrie Nichol, in Seattle, and Gustafson Porter, in London. Her award-winning landscapes can be found throughout North America, Europe, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East. Both offices have won numerous competitions and have a wide variety of scale of work from furniture through to master planning.
Continue reading Kathryn Gustafson awarded the Arnold W. Brunner Memorial Prize
Granite Web | Diller Scofidio + Renfro
Aberdeen City Garden Trust is delighted to announce that the team led by Diller Scofidio + Renfro has won the design competition to transform the centre of Aberdeen.
Internationally-renowned Diller Scofidio + Renfro, who collaborated with local Scottish architects, Keppie Design and landscape architects OLIN, was chosen as the winner after the competition was extended to include a run-off between the DS+R-led team and the Foster + Partners-led team. The successful proposal, popularly known as the Granite Web, celebrates the three-dimensional aspects of Aberdeen, reinterpreting the topography of the
Denburn Valley and the dramatic cascade of the existing Union Terrace Gardens while creating graceful new spaces and structures that contribute to a memorable and thrilling contemporary design.
Continue reading Diller Scofidio + Renfro with Keppie Design & OLIN win Aberdeen City Garden Competition
The announcement of the finalists of the International Design Competition for Aberdeen’s City Garden Project was revealed today. The six finalists have been selected to go on to the second stage of the competition after a unanimous vote by the jury panel. Over 55 submissions were received from across the world with many opting to partner with UK design firms.
The finalists are:
• Diller Scofidio and Renfro (New York) / Keppie Design (Glasgow) working in association with landscape architect Olin Studio.
• Foster + Partners (London) / Vladimir Djurovic Landscape Architecture (Beirut) working in association with cost and construction consultant Gardiner & Theobald
• Snøhetta (Oslo) / Gareth Hoskins Architects (Glasgow) working in association with engineering and multi-discipline company AECOM
• Gustafson Porter (London) / Niall McLaughlin Architects (London) working with urban analyst Space Syntax, engineer Arup and cost adviser Jackson Coles
• Mecanoo Architecten (Delft, Netherlands) / Cooper Cromar (Glasgow) working in association with landscape architect Ian White, engineer Buro Happold and cost adviser Davis Langdon (AECOM).
• West 8 urban design & landscape architecture (Rotterdam, Netherlands) / Archial Group (Aberdeen) working in association with engineer Arup and cost and construction consultant Turner & Townsend
The £140m City Garden Project will radically transform a strategic central location, raising the nineteenth-century Union Terrace Gardens and covering over the unattractive Denburn dual carriageway and railway line.
Continue reading Finalists announced for Aberdeen’s City Garden international design competition
A foundation stone laying ceremony, attended by the Chief Executive of HKSAR, senior government officials and representatives of the architects Foster + Partners and Dragages team, has been held recently to mark the start of construction of the new Kai Tak Cruise Terminal in Hong Kong. Reinventing the site of the former Kai Tak airport as one of the world’s foremost cruise terminals, the project will create a sustainable new gateway to the city and a major entertainment destination for residents.
Continue reading Kai Tak Cruise Terminal in Hong Kong | Foster+Partners