The Landscape Futures lecture series recently launched by the Landscape Institute aims to stimulate debate about the future of the landscape and explore the major themes affecting how our land is used and managed, and how that use will affect the prosperity and quality of life of all citizens.
Continue reading EVENT | Landscape Futures Debate: How can we build beautiful places?
In the early summer of 2013, HOK was invited to participate in a design competition for the 2017 Expo Design in Astana – the rapidly developing capital of Kazakhstan. The theme for the expo; “Future Energy”, challenged entrants to demonstrate the use of innovative technologies capable of affecting people’s perception of energy and green development.
Continue reading World Expo 2017 | Astana Kazakhstan | HOK
Penn’s Landing’s Blue Cross RiverRink celebrates 20 years of ice skating on the Delaware River by transforming the annual waterfront rink into a veritable winter wonderland. In conjunction with Delaware River Waterfront, the skating rink location was transformed by Groundswell into a daily wintertime festival with shipping containers repurposed into retail shops, and food and drink served in a fabricated forest setting with Pine, Spruce and Holly trees, fire pits, rustic seating and signage. For 37 days throughout the holiday season, the waterfront hosted a pop-up holiday village. Philadelphia’s newest holiday tradition, Waterfront Winterfest at the Blue Cross RiverRink, reimagined how you celebrate the holidays.
Continue reading Waterfront Winterfest | Philadelphia USA | Groundswell Design Group
The International Garden Festival has recently announced the designers selected by the jury for the 15th edition of the Festival. The competition attracted 293 proposals for contemporary gardens submitted from 35 countries. The world renown festival has gardens previously designed by Ken Smith, ATLAS & Forbes Lipschitz, NIPpaysage, Snøhetta, Legge-Lewis-Legge, Michael Van Valkenburgh and many others. This year the new gardens include:
- Afterburn by Montréal-bred and Brooklyn-based architects Ksenia Kagner and Nicko Elliott of Civilian Projects
- Cone Garden by architect and landscape architect Seungjong Yoo, media artist Byoungjoon Kwon, botanist Hyeryoung Cho and landscape designers Yongchul Cho, Iltae Jeong, Jinhwan Kim and Soojung Yoon [LIVESCAPE], Seoul, South Korea
- Line Garden by Canadian artist/designers Coryn Kempster and Julia Jamrozik based in Basel, Switzerland
- Méristème by Montréal collective Châssi, formed by designers Caroline Magar, Marie-Josée Gagnon and François Leblanc
- Orange Secret by landscape architect and urban designer William E. Roberts and agricultural engineer and landscape architect Laura Santin from Nomad Studio, based in New York, USA
- Rotunda by architects Aurora Armental Ruiz and Stefano Ciurlo Walker from CITYLABORATORY, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Continue reading Designers announced for 15th International Garden Festival
The concept is simple: create an unusual work where users can comfortably sit and contemplate to the sound of wind and waves, along the majesty of the banks of the St. Lawrence. The designer wanted to create a memorial while integrating functional street furniture. And so he imagined majestic sails of white oak, concrete and metal, echoing the chapter in history and to be installed where Fort Vercheres stood in 1670. The white oak was chosen by the designer as the same wood was used in the seventeenth century for the construction of sailboats and barrels.
Continue reading Sails Park Benches | Montreal Canada | Les Ateliers Guyon