WLA has opened the call for submissions for the 2019 WLA Awards (2019年度WLA奖参), the annual international landscape architecture awards that seek to honour landscape architects around with world for their outstanding work and promote the profession across the world. The Awards endeavour to recognise innovative work (conceptual and built) by landscape architects provides the opportunity for landscape architects from all countries to be recognised on the world stage by their profession.
Past winners of WLA Awards include Sasaki, dwg., OJB Landscape Architecture, MKSK, Stoss Landscape Urbanism, LandLAB + Monk McKenzie, SLA, PLACE, Rogers Partners, ASDISKY, Ken Smith Workshop, Turf Design Studio & Environmental Partnership.
WLA is honored to have six experienced jurors who were selected from 15 nominations to judge the 2019 WLA Awards including
She has a PhD in Landscape Architecture gained at the Alghero School of Architecture, University of Sassari (2011) and obtained the first degree in Architecture at the Florence School of Architecture (1999). Since 2004, she has coordinated several international operative workshops, experimenting shared practices in urban interventions by using art as a vehicle for the redevelopment of open spaces, with the collaboration of local artists, communities and cultural foundations.
Founding Director of Stoss Landscape Urbanism, and both Professor in Practice of Landscape Architecture and Co-Director of the Master of Landscape Architecture in Urban Design Program at the Harvard University Graduate School of Design. He is recognized internationally as a leading voice in the transformation of landscapes and cities, and he works alternately as a researcher, strategist, teacher, designer, and advisor.
The founder and one of the two partners of Mandaworks – a progressive and contemporary design studio engaged in the fields of architecture, landscape architecture, urban design and comprehensive planning.
Michael is the Chair of Landscape Architecture, Civil Engineering, and Ecology at Sasaki. Leading much of the firm’s work in Asia, he is a fierce advocate for the vital role that landscape architects play in shaping contemporary cities.
An Iranian environmental and landscape designer with 14 years of experience who is the IFLA Middle East President and also has extensive experience judging IFLA, SILA and other national landscape architecture associations.
Dr Rosalea Monacella
A registered Landscape Architect. She is a faculty member in the Landscape Architecture Department at Harvard University. Her research explores design at the nexus of the urban and natural environments evidenced through projects and masterplans completed around the world.
All landscape architects who have are members of landscape architecture organisations (AILA, ASLA, CSLA, LI, HKILA, IFLA, ILASA, NZILA, MLAA, etc) or who have graduated from or currently studying in landscape architecture at a university are eligible to enter the World Landscape Architecture Awards.
Any client or organisation who wishes to enter a project must have written permission from the landscape architect or design firm.
Projects must be a concept or built during 2015-2018. Previous winners of WLA Awards cannot be submitted.
Entrants can enter the following categories:
– Built Design Award – Small (Smaller than 1,000 sq. metres/10000 sq. foot)
– Built Design Award – Large (Large greater than 1000 sq. metres/10000 sq. foot)
– Built Design Award – Residential Garden
– Conceptual Design Award
– Student Award (Design or Research)
The Editor will also select one project from all categories to be the winner of the WLA Editor’s Award.
Each category is awarded an Award of Excellence and Merit Award.
Built Award Categories are assessed on
- Design (Design Ideas and resolution of those ideas)
- Innovation (The level of innovation in the project)
- Implementation (Final Constructed project)
- Design (Design Ideas and resolution of those ideas)
- Innovation (The level of innovation in the concept)
- Presentation & Supporting Information (how the design was presented and explained)
All categories require a minimum of 5 entrants to be eligible for judging if the minimum is not met then no awards will be awarded in that category.
The Awards submission should include the following:
- A maximum five (5) page (A3 / 11×17 format) using the WLA template will only be accepted (supplied via email after purchasing an entry)
- This includes one (1) page of text (maximum 350 words) and four (4) pages of images with caption (25 words)
- The entry number (this is the invoice number provided via email after purchase) and project name shall be shown in the locations as per the template
- The entry shall not show any company or designers names within the text or images
- The entry shall not have any overlaying of text, graphs or numbers (exception for conceptual award entries)
- No Awards submission may be over 10Mb
- The Awards submission should be submitted via email to [email protected] by the deadline
All entries are eligible to be published on WLA and entrants should submit a separate submission for publication (if desired).
This should include the following:
- 350 words of text
- Project Credits including the image/photography credits
- All images submitted in jpg format with minimum 1200 pixels wide at 150 dpi
- Tip: the easiest way is to use the InDesign package function. Otherwise as per above.
The Awards submission should be submitted via email to [email protected] . Any submission over 10mb should be sent via dropbox, wetransfer.
Payment is via Credit Card or Paypal use the links above.
For International Bank Account Transfers details email [email protected]
Award of Excellence (Built and Conceptual) – WLA Award Trophy, Featured on WLA and published in the WLA Awards Magazine. Complimentary WLA Partner for one year.
Merit Award (Built and Conceptual) – WLA Award Certificate, Featured on WLA and published in the WLA Awards Magazine.
Student Award – Award of Excellence (Built and Conceptual) – WLA Award Trophy, Featured on WLA and in the WLA Awards Magazine. $250USD Reward (paid by Paypal)
Editor’s Award – WLA Award Trophy, Featured on WLA and in the WLA Awards Magazine. Complimentary WLA Partner for one year.
All entrants are eligible to be published on the WLA website during 2019.
All entries must be submitted via email by:
Friday, March 1 at 11:59 Honolulu Time (UTC-10) equivalent to New York – March 2 4:59 am; London – March 2 9:59 am; Sydney – March 2 8:59pm;
Can designers/firms enter more than once?
Yes. You will need to purchase one entry per award submission to obtain an invoice (entry) number for each entry.
What is my entry number?
You will receive an Invoice via Email which has an Invoice Number. This is your entry number.