Rhodes Peninsula is a dynamic urban centre with a distinctive form that presents a unique set of opportunities and challenges for the role of public open space within an evolving urban redevelopment precinct. Located alongside Sydney Olympic Park, the Peninsula is defined by the Parramatta River, Homebush Bay and Brays Bay. The City of Canada Bay engaged Corkery Consulting to prepare a comprehensive Open Space Master Plan and Plan of Management for the whole Peninsula.
The Master Plan provides a vision for the design and management of public open space in response to the needs of a changing community at Rhodes Peninsula. It covers the public domain through the urban redevelopment of Rhodes West as well as the established open spaces in Rhodes East.
The scope of work completed by Corkery Consulting included:
– Site analysis of existing facilities, vegetation, views, access and circulation for pedestrians and cyclists.
– Assessment of existing and future demand for open space recreation facilities.
– Involvement in community consultation to determine the current and future needs for open space recreation facilities.
– Review and comment on various other projects for the Peninsula including the Arts Plan, Place Plan and the proposed Homebush Bay Bridge.
– Preparation of concept designs for each of the 16 open spaces covered by Master Plan, which incorporated existing together with proposed new facilities.
– Identification of an integrated network of pedestrian and cycle paths connecting the open spaces with adjoining urban areas through series of loops, one of which passes through Sydney Olympic Park.
– Preparation of management strategies for all of the public open spaces.
The Plan of Management meets statutory planning requirements while the Master Plan provides a flexible framework in which Council can respond to current needs and opportunities, as well as to future community expectations for public open space facilities.
The Rhodes Peninsula Open Space Master Plan & Plan of Management by Corkery Consulting recently won the AILA NSW State Award for Planning in Landscape Architecture
“The Rhodes Peninsula Open Space Master Plan and Plan of Management prepared by Corkery Consulting present a planning approach that is initially deceptively simple but ultimately displays a complex, powerful and intelligently considered approach to precinct open space planning and management for a dynamic and challenging urban centre.” – AILA NSW Awards Jury
Rhodes Peninsula Open Space Master Plan + Plan of Management
Landscape Architecture & Urban Design | Corkery Consulting
Client | City of Canada Bay | Sydney NSW Australia
Images & Text | Courtesy of Corkey Consulting