*UPDATE* The location has been changed from the Marine Etablissement site to an artificial island in the IJ waterfront. Participants are asked to design a new island for the MH17 Memorial in the Amsterdam “Internal Sea” – IJmeer, situated between the Java-eiland and Amsterdam-Noord, the rapidly developing part of the city. The size and configuration of the new artificial island is up to the participants and can be up to 8Ha within the borders of the highlighted area in the DWG drawing (please see the Download Section). The site can be accessed by popular water transport (ferry/taxi) via nearby stations. The site is only 1800m away from the Amsterdam Central ferry station and is located right next to the Oostveer Ferry Station route. Find out more information about the location change to the ideas competition at the official MH17 MEMORIAL + PARK website
matterbetter is inviting architects, young professionals and students to participate in open-ideas international competition for MH17 Memorial + Park in Amsterdam, that is organized in consultation with Municipality of Amsterdam.
An international open ideas competition for architects and students is initiated to remember and honor the victims of the MH17 tragedy. This man-made tragedy has influenced thousands of lives in direct or indirect manner across the entire world. Most of all this tragedy has affected the Netherlands – the Dutch nation that lost 193 souls in this catastophe. Therefore Amsterdam, the departure point of this one way flight, was selected as a location for the MH17 Memorial.
The main objectives of the competition are:
– embody the goals and spirit of the mission statement;
– to generate public discussion of the memorial program, location and main goals;
– to generate discussion in the professional environment;
– to provide the maximum freedom of design decision making to all participants;
– and last, but not the least – to make a world a better place.
– Creative approach: aesthetics and originality
– Emotional power
– Connection with the rest of the city
– Sustainability and Functionality
– Realization of the maximum potential of the site and internal harbour
– Clarity and comprehensibility of the overall design.
20th of September 2014 – Official announcement of the competition.
15th of October 2014 – Deadline for submission of questions.
*UPDATE* 21st of December 2014 – Registration Deadline
Registration Fee is 60EUR-100EUR dependent on when you register
Find out more information about the ideas competition at the official MH17 MEMORIAL + PARK website