World Landscape Architecture calls for entries for the 2023 Professional WLA Awards, an annual international awards program that recognises and promotes excellence in landscape architecture worldwide. The WLA awards seek to celebrate the profession, showcase landscape architecture projects and inspire professionals and students.
Past winners of WLA Awards include Sasaki, MNLA, dwg., Lab D+H, LANDPROCESS, OJB Landscape Architecture, SLA, Mecanoo, AECOM, SHUISHI 水石设计, 大小景观Atelier Scale, MKSK, Design Workshop, OLIN, Stoss Landscape Urbanism, LandLAB, and more.
The Student WLA Awards will be held later in 2023.
WLA is honoured to have the following experienced jurors to judge the 2023 Professional WLA Awards.
Anna Cawrse, ASLA | Principal, Denver Office Co-Director | Sasaki
Jennifer Cooper, RLA | Landscape Architecture Bureau Manager | San Francisco Public Works
Mohan Rao | Partner and Principal Designer | INDÉ
Kate Tooke, ASLA, PLA | Principal, Landscape Architect | Agency Landscape + Planning
Gerwin de Vries | Landscape architect and Owner | Flux landscape architecture
Mike Wood, FLI | Director, Landscape Architecture | Arup
Landscape Architecture and Landscape Design Firms can enter the Professional Awards.
Other design professionals, such as architects, engineers, planners, urban designers, interior designers, horticulturalists etc, can also enter projects when a landscape architect/landscape designer (within or outside of the company) was involved in designing the project being submitted. The landscape architect/designer should be noted with the project details in the Submission Email (see below).
Organisations and companies (developers, governments, authorities, contractors (civil, landscape, main, etc) may enter landscape architecture projects on behalf of the landscape architect/designer. However, they must have written permission from the landscape architect or design firm to submit the project.
A submission cannot be submitted in more than one category. Entrants can enter multiple projects but must purchase a registration for each entry.
Projects must be a concept or built during 2019-2023.
Projects that have previously won a WLA Award (Award of Excellence, Merit or Honour Award) cannot be submitted. Any previously shortlisted entries can be entered in this years WLA Awards if they meet the eligibility criteria.
Professional Awards include the following categories:
- Built – Small Landscape Design (Smaller than 1,000 sq. metres/10000 sq. foot)
- Built – Large Landscape Design (Large greater than 1000 sq. metres/10000 sq. foot)
- Built – Urban Design
- Built – Private Residential Design (including single dwelling gardens)
- Built – Commercial Residential Design (including showflats, apartments, residential estates, housing developments, etc)
- Conceptual – Small Landscape Design (Smaller than 1,000 sq. metres/10000 sq. foot)
- Conceptual – Large Landscape Design (Large greater than 1000 sq. metres/10000 sq. foot)
- Conceptual – Private Residential Design (including single dwelling gardens)
- Conceptual – Commercial Residential Design (including showflats, apartments, residential estates, housing developments, etc)
- Conceptual – Analysis and Planning
- Built and Conceptual categories – Award of Excellence (1 per category) – WLA Awards Trophy, WLA Awards Certificate, Featured on WLA during 2023.
- Built and Conceptual categories – Merit Award (upto 2 per category) -WLA Award Certificate, published on WLA during 2023.
- Built and Conceptual categories – Honourable Mention (up to 3 per category) – WLA Award Certificate
- Editor’s Award – WLA Awards Trophy, Featured on WLA in 2023.
Registration Entry Fees
Professional WLA Awards Entry Fee – $250AUD (approx. 170USD, 160EUR, 1150CNY)
Entry Registration Fees can be paid in the WLA Shop via Alipay, Paypal or Credit Card.
Upon purchasing the entry, you will receive an email with links to a zip and rar file that includes the Awards Template, Entry Guide and WLA Awards Declaration.
Make sure to check your spam and add [email protected] to your whitelist or accepted email addresses.
Entry Registration Fee Deadline
Entry Registration Fees must be purchased before Friday, March 17, 2023, at 11:59pm London, UK
Questions regarding submissions before Tuesday, March 21, 2023, at 11:59pm London, UK
Submit any questions to [email protected] in English
All entries must be submitted via email before Friday, March 24, 2023, at 11:59pm London, UK
Please pay attention to the deadline time in relation to your timezone. Late entries are not accepted due to misunderstanding the deadline time (timezone).
The Awards submission should include the following:
- A maximum five (5) pages (A3 format – landscape orientation) using the WLA template will only be accepted (which is supplied as a download link via email after purchasing an entry registration)
- Project Description Page is the first page is one (1) page of text (maximum 500 words – no images). The Images Pages are the next four (4) pages with project images (multiple images can be placed on each image page). Each image can include a 25-word maximum caption. The captions are optional.
- Complete the page footer which must include the Project Name (the name of the project), Category and the Entry Number.
- Submissions must be in English
- Do not change the font, font style or font size in the template for any text including the footer.
- No company or designers or client names or recognisable graphics/logos can be included within the project name, text or images.
- Awards submissions shall be less than 10Mb in pdf format. The pdf file only needs to be screen resolution (96 dpi) for juries to review.
- The WLA Awards Declaration form shall be completed and submitted in pdf format.
- The Awards submission should be submitted via email to [email protected] by the deadline.
- The Entry Submission File should be in pdf format and an email attachment. The file name should have the entry number, entry name and category. E.g. 70125-Garden Rooms-Built-Residential.pdf The entry file should be five (5) separate pages (not spreads).
- Include the WLA Awards Declaration as a pdf file as an attachment, and the file name should include the entry number. E.g. 70126-WLA Awards Declaration.pdf
- Include the Entry Number, Project Name, Landscape Company/Designer Name, Collaborators (Architect, Engineers, Client as applicable) and Image Credits(Photographer, Rendering Company, etc as applicable) as text in the submission email. Not as a separate text file.
- Before submitting, ensure that you have thoroughly checked the pdf files (Entry Submission File and the Awards Declaration) before submitting. We will no longer accept updated or revised entries.
- Do not send file links to file services such as Wetransfer, QQ, Weixin, Dropbox, Onedrive or similar. The files should be an attachment to the Submission Email.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I put images on the first page?
No, the first page is for text only. No images, graphics, logos or other representation should be placed on the first page
Can I change the border, font, layout, etc of the Template?
No changes should be made to the template to maintain equality between the entries. The font, border, entry number location and size, and layout should be as supplied in the template.
Can I put text on the images?
Text can only be put on images to provide labels or critical information such as labels on a plan or diagram or an image caption(25 words or less) . No long text such as paragraphs, etc. should be placed on images or as captions.
Can I put more than one image per image page?
Yes, you can please as many images on one page (excluding the first page) as you wish.
I can’t find my order/entry number?
The order number you receive after purchasing a registration entry is your entry number and can be found in the first email you receive. If you do not receive your order email within 48 hours after purchasing, please contact [email protected]