Recently the finalists for the ARC International Wildlife Crossing Infrastructure Design Competition were selected to continue into Phase 2 of the competition to develop conceptual designs and 3-D models for a wildlife overpass at West Vail Pass along Interstate Highway 70 near Vail, Colorado. The designs are intended to usher in a new generation of wildlife crossing infrastructure using new methods, new materials, and new thinking to reduce structural costs and increase adaptability and ecological function. The five finalist teams are:
- Balmori Associates (New York) with StudioMDA, Knippers Helbig Inc., David Skelly, CITA, Bluegreen, John A. Martin & Associates, and David Langdon.
- The Olin Studio (Philadelphia) with Explorations Architecture (Paris), Buro Haphold (London) and Applied Ecological Services.
- Janet Rosenberg & Associates (Toronto) with Blackwell Bowick Partnership, Dougan & Associates, and Ecokare International.
- Michael Van Valkenburgh & Associates with HNTB Engineering with Applied Ecological Services, Inc.
- Zwarts & Jantsma Architects (Amsterdam) with OKRA Landscape Architects, IV-infra and Planecologie
SOURCE: [ARC Competition]