Within the narrow threshold between boreal forest and field exists an environmental condition that enables a particular set of species to colonize, thriving on the effect of two contrasting environments side by side. Edge Effect places a circle of steel between forest and field to create a series of variable experiences related to being on the edge.
Continue reading Edge Effect | Quebec, Canada | SNØHETTA
The International Garden Festival has recently announced the designers selected by the jury for the 15th edition of the Festival. The competition attracted 293 proposals for contemporary gardens submitted from 35 countries. The world renown festival has gardens previously designed by Ken Smith, ATLAS & Forbes Lipschitz, NIPpaysage, Snøhetta, Legge-Lewis-Legge, Michael Van Valkenburgh and many others. This year the new gardens include:
- Afterburn by Montréal-bred and Brooklyn-based architects Ksenia Kagner and Nicko Elliott of Civilian Projects
- Cone Garden by architect and landscape architect Seungjong Yoo, media artist Byoungjoon Kwon, botanist Hyeryoung Cho and landscape designers Yongchul Cho, Iltae Jeong, Jinhwan Kim and Soojung Yoon [LIVESCAPE], Seoul, South Korea
- Line Garden by Canadian artist/designers Coryn Kempster and Julia Jamrozik based in Basel, Switzerland
- Méristème by Montréal collective Châssi, formed by designers Caroline Magar, Marie-Josée Gagnon and François Leblanc
- Orange Secret by landscape architect and urban designer William E. Roberts and agricultural engineer and landscape architect Laura Santin from Nomad Studio, based in New York, USA
- Rotunda by architects Aurora Armental Ruiz and Stefano Ciurlo Walker from CITYLABORATORY, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Continue reading Designers announced for 15th International Garden Festival
Louis Grachos, Ernest and Sarah Butler Executive Director of The Contemporary Austin, announces three internationally renowned landscape architects as finalists in creating a Master Site Plan for Laguna Gloria, Austin’s picturesque historic treasure.
The main stipulation in the Request for Qualifications was for the selected firm to develop a comprehensive Master Site Plan that fully incorporates the twelve acres of Laguna Gloria while laying the groundwork for the Betty and Edward Marcus Sculpture Park and respecting the existing historic 1916 Italianate Driscoll Villa, the fifty-year-old Art School, and the vibrant ecology of the site.
Continue reading The Contemporary Austin Announces Finalists for Laguna Gloria Master Site Plan
Snøhetta: Memories of architectural landscapes. A 30 minute video with Norwegian architect Kjetil T. Thorsen talking about Snøhetta’s work. The first section – ‘landscapes’ (5 Minutes), gives an insight on how Kjetil T. Thorsen and Snøhetta look at landscape. ”Landscapes are a massive force”, says Kjetil Trædal Thorsen, co-founder and director of Snøhetta: “And they are masterpieces, which architects can be inspired by.”
Snøhetta: Memories of architectural landscapes from Louisiana Channel on Vimeo.
The announcement of the finalists of the International Design Competition for Aberdeen’s City Garden Project was revealed today. The six finalists have been selected to go on to the second stage of the competition after a unanimous vote by the jury panel. Over 55 submissions were received from across the world with many opting to partner with UK design firms.
The finalists are:
• Diller Scofidio and Renfro (New York) / Keppie Design (Glasgow) working in association with landscape architect Olin Studio.
• Foster + Partners (London) / Vladimir Djurovic Landscape Architecture (Beirut) working in association with cost and construction consultant Gardiner & Theobald
• Snøhetta (Oslo) / Gareth Hoskins Architects (Glasgow) working in association with engineering and multi-discipline company AECOM
• Gustafson Porter (London) / Niall McLaughlin Architects (London) working with urban analyst Space Syntax, engineer Arup and cost adviser Jackson Coles
• Mecanoo Architecten (Delft, Netherlands) / Cooper Cromar (Glasgow) working in association with landscape architect Ian White, engineer Buro Happold and cost adviser Davis Langdon (AECOM).
• West 8 urban design & landscape architecture (Rotterdam, Netherlands) / Archial Group (Aberdeen) working in association with engineer Arup and cost and construction consultant Turner & Townsend
The £140m City Garden Project will radically transform a strategic central location, raising the nineteenth-century Union Terrace Gardens and covering over the unattractive Denburn dual carriageway and railway line.
Continue reading Finalists announced for Aberdeen’s City Garden international design competition