The International Garden Festival has recently announced the designers selected by the jury for the 15th edition of the Festival. The competition attracted 293 proposals for contemporary gardens submitted from 35 countries. The world renown festival has gardens previously designed by Ken Smith, ATLAS & Forbes Lipschitz, NIPpaysage, Snøhetta, Legge-Lewis-Legge, Michael Van Valkenburgh and many others. This year the new gardens include:
- Afterburn by Montréal-bred and Brooklyn-based architects Ksenia Kagner and Nicko Elliott of Civilian Projects
- Cone Garden by architect and landscape architect Seungjong Yoo, media artist Byoungjoon Kwon, botanist Hyeryoung Cho and landscape designers Yongchul Cho, Iltae Jeong, Jinhwan Kim and Soojung Yoon [LIVESCAPE], Seoul, South Korea
- Line Garden by Canadian artist/designers Coryn Kempster and Julia Jamrozik based in Basel, Switzerland
- Méristème by Montréal collective Châssi, formed by designers Caroline Magar, Marie-Josée Gagnon and François Leblanc
- Orange Secret by landscape architect and urban designer William E. Roberts and agricultural engineer and landscape architect Laura Santin from Nomad Studio, based in New York, USA
- Rotunda by architects Aurora Armental Ruiz and Stefano Ciurlo Walker from CITYLABORATORY, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Two projects received special mentions from the jury:
- Bal à la Villa by landscape architects Annie Ypperciel and Robert Desjardins from Montréal
- sPOTs by architects Roy Talmon and Noa Biran [Talmon Biran architecture studio], Tel Aviv (IsraeI)
The jury was composed of Denis Boucher, chargé de projet, Conseil du patrimoine religieux du Québec; Cécile Combelle, architect with Atelier Barda and designer of the Sacré potager garden for the 2013 edition of the Festival; Vincent Lemay, landscape architect; Matei Paquin, project development director, Moment Factory; Ann Webb, past executive director and publisher, Canadian Art Foundation and Alexander Reford, director of Jardins de Métis/Reford Gardens and the International Garden Festival.
15th edition of the International Garden Festival from June 28 to September 28, 2014.
More information about the festival and past garden designs visit Les Jardins de Métis/Reford Gardens and the International Garden Festival.