GroupGSA, a multi-discipline practice in Sydney, Australia with projects in Australia, Asia Pacific and the USA has expanded its services with the merger of GroupGSA and John Holland. John Holland Landscape Architects will now be apart of Group GSA and John Holland (Registered Landscape Architect) will now lead the Landscape Architecture section as Principal with his experience in open space planning, urban design, residential planning and infrastructure projects throughout the UK, Australia and Asia.
Premier Kristina Keneally and Planning Minister, Tony Kelly, yesterday formally signed an authorisation for the $6 billion contract with Lend Lease for commercial development of Barangaroo.
At the same time as signing the contract Planning Minister Mr Kelly said that following an evaluation, Johnson Pilton Walker (Sydney based), in association with Peter Walker and Partners Landscape Architecture (California, USA) , have been selected to work with the Barangaroo Delivery Authority to design the new Headland Park and other public spaces.
This highly regarded team will design key open space features for the waterfront commercial, residential and leisure precinct, including the creation of the harbourside park and restoration of the entire harbour headland to a more natural shape. “We are determined to create a bold and inspiring precinct, which is diverse, dynamic and inclusive………..The Headland Park will include waterfront promenades, an open-air amphitheatre, area and places to picnic. It will be built to maximise its incredible location.” Mr Kelly said.
Barangaroo (previously known as East Darling Harbour) is the name given to the 22-hectare area in Sydney that is planned to become a key commercial, residential and recreation precinct with over 22,000 workers and residents, and 33,000 visitors a day – a total of 12 million visitors a year.
[SOURCE: Barangaroo Delivery Authority] VIA Australian Design Review
Auckland‘s City council has rejected the latest plans for $100 million redevelopment of Queens Wharf which was scheduled to be the ‘party central’ for the Rugby World Cup to be held in 2011.
Back in November, WLA reported that the International Design Competition for Queen’s Wharf finished in controversy when no winner was awarded.
Now it seems that the new $97 million redevelopment plan have also been halted.
……that plan was rejected, and three other, cheaper plans for temporary structures also put on hold until a masterplan for the waterfront was developed, said Auckland City mayor John Banks. (New Zealand Herald)
Read more at the [SOURCE: New Zealand Herald – Mayors reject Queens Wharf funding plan]
Image via Wikipedia
The monorail project in Jakarta was abandoned by the developer in 2008 due to legal and financial difficulties, but now the Jakarta Post reports that the project is to be revived.
The Jakarta Post article reports
The project, along with a new mass rapid transit (MRT) system and the revitalization of existing railways, is expected to help solve worsening traffic problems in the capital, Dedy S. Priatna, deputy of infrastructure at the National Development Planning Agency (Bappenas), told reporters Wednesday.
“This March there should be a decision whether [the Jakarta administration] should pay the money [for the initial construction] to Jakarta Monorail. The updated plan to build the monorail should be completed in August,” he said.
“It should be finished by 2015 or 2016,” he added.
Read more at the [SOURCE: Jakarta Post – Abandoned monorail plan to be revived]
The Organising Committee of the Ideas Competition for Bruce Lee’s Residence announced the results for The Ideas Competition for Bruce Lee’s residence, launched on July 20, 2009, aimed to turn the former residence of the late Mr Bruce Lee into an attraction to commemorate Mr Lee’s contribution to martial arts and the film industry.
The competition was open to all in Hong Kong, the Mainland and overseas countries and comprised two categories – the Professional Group and the Open Group. Over 140 entries were received from across the world and local team Cheung Kwai-yin and landscape architect Jimmy Yuen, won in the professional category of the design contest. The design, titled Journey of the Little Dragon, features a vaulting exhibition hall with an undulating ceiling, and a mirrored room named Tower of Death.
An roving exhibition of all the entries is available at Hong Kong City Hall from January 23 to February 4, Hong Kong Cultural Centre from February 9 to 16, and Shatin Town Hall from February 23 to March 6.