Johnson Pilton Walker & PWP selected for Barangaroo

Premier Kristina Keneally and Planning Minister, Tony Kelly, yesterday formally signed an authorisation for the $6 billion contract with Lend Lease for commercial development of Barangaroo.

At the same time as signing the contract Planning Minister Mr Kelly said that following an evaluation, Johnson Pilton Walker (Sydney based), in association with Peter Walker and Partners Landscape Architecture (California, USA) , have been selected to work with the Barangaroo Delivery Authority to design the new Headland Park and other public spaces.

This highly regarded team will design key open space features for the waterfront commercial, residential and leisure precinct, including the creation of the harbourside park and restoration of the entire harbour headland to a more natural shape. “We are determined to create a bold and inspiring precinct, which is diverse, dynamic and inclusive………..The Headland Park will include waterfront promenades, an open-air amphitheatre, area and places to picnic. It will be built to maximise its incredible location.” Mr Kelly said.

Barangaroo (previously known as East Darling Harbour) is the name given to the 22-hectare area  in Sydney that is planned to become a key commercial, residential and recreation precinct with over 22,000 workers and residents, and 33,000 visitors a day – a total of 12 million visitors a year.

[SOURCE: Barangaroo Delivery Authority] VIA Australian Design Review

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Auckland’s Queens Wharf redevelopment stalled

Auckland‘s City council has rejected the latest plans for $100 million redevelopment of Queens Wharf which was scheduled to be the ‘party central’ for the Rugby World Cup to be held in 2011.

Back in November, WLA reported that the International Design Competition for Queen’s Wharf finished in controversy when no winner was awarded.

Now it seems that the new $97 million redevelopment plan have also been halted.

……that plan was rejected, and three other, cheaper plans for temporary structures also put on hold until a masterplan for the waterfront was developed, said Auckland City mayor John Banks. (New Zealand Herald)

Read more at the [SOURCE: New Zealand Herald - Mayors reject Queens Wharf funding plan]

Abandoned Jakarta monorail to be revived

Support pillars from Jakarta's stalled monorai...

Image via Wikipedia

The monorail project in Jakarta was abandoned by the developer in 2008 due to legal and financial difficulties, but now the Jakarta Post reports that the project is to be revived.

The Jakarta Post article reports

The project, along with a new mass rapid transit (MRT) system and the revitalization of existing railways, is expected to help solve worsening traffic problems in the capital, Dedy S. Priatna, deputy of infrastructure at the National Development Planning Agency (Bappenas), told reporters Wednesday.

“This March there should be a decision whether [the Jakarta administration] should pay the money [for the initial construction] to Jakarta Monorail. The updated plan to build the monorail should be completed in August,” he said.

“It should be finished by 2015 or 2016,” he added.

Read more at the [SOURCE: Jakarta Post - Abandoned monorail plan to be revived]

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Winners announced for Bruce Lee Residence Competition

The Organising Committee of the Ideas Competition for Bruce Lee’s Residence announced the results for The Ideas Competition for Bruce Lee’s residence, launched on July 20, 2009, aimed to turn the former residence of the late Mr Bruce Lee into an attraction to commemorate Mr Lee’s contribution to martial arts and the film industry.

The competition was open to all in Hong Kong, the Mainland and overseas countries and comprised two categories – the Professional Group and the Open Group. Over 140 entries were received from across the world and local team Cheung Kwai-yin and landscape architect Jimmy Yuen, won in the professional category of the design contest. The design, titled Journey of the Little Dragon, features a vaulting exhibition hall with an undulating ceiling, and a mirrored room named Tower of Death.

An roving exhibition of all the entries is available at Hong Kong City Hall from January 23 to February 4, Hong Kong Cultural Centre from February 9 to 16, and Shatin Town Hall from February 23 to March 6.

Australian architects think about cities in 2050 and beyond

The Australian Institute of Architects has announced a shortlist of proposals for the Australia Pavillion at the Venice Biennale. The shortlist of 24 was selected from 129 submissions addressing urban spaces in 2050 and beyond.

Some of the proposals include:

  • New cities of 50,000-100,000 in desert areas
  • Cities which feature a ‘tartan-like texture of pure urban areas (or cells), pure rural cells, and cells which are a hybrid of rural and urban’, providing a ‘vital flexibility for a sustainable future’.
  • Cities hugging the coast from Noosa to Geelong to accommodate population growth and the preferred coastal climate; connected by a ‘very fast train running from North Qld to Victoria; pockets of vertical sprawl; new cities in pristine locations such as Botany Bay and the Royal National Park.
  • Cities in which ‘within tightly controlled boundaries exist Multiple Cities‘. Cities which address issues such as: what if a city grows not out, but up or down? What if a city’s growth boundary is not on its periphery but at its heart? What if new planning initiatives were introduced governing the use of air space? ‘A Green City, where the top plane provides wind and solar energy to power (and cool) the multiple cities below’, as well as all food production.
  • Cities ‘woven into the landscape’ – balancing dense human settlement with flora and fauna biodiversity, with major roadways converted into natural landscape corridors.

The competition fired the imagination of Australia’s architects and designers, resulting in inspired, possible solutions and imaginative proposals addressing the critical issue of Australian urbanism – examining possibilities across the terrestrial, underwater and airborne realms.

The two-part ‘NOW + WHEN Australian Urbanism‘ exhibition will highlight three of Australia’s most interesting urban regions as they are ‘NOW’, before dramatically representing around seven futuristic urban environments from the competition as they may be ‘WHEN’ we reach 2050 and beyond.

Co-Creative Director and well-known Melbourne-based photographer John Gollings said: “The large number of entries and range of approach and philosophy exceeded expectations. We felt that more than 50 per cent of the entries could have made an important contribution to the Venice Architecture Biennale, and narrowing the selection down to 24 was difficult.

“Of great interest now, is that these varied ideas must be turned into tangible 3D models which can be screened as virtual, built projects for exhibition in the Australian Pavilion in Venice. This process will challenge the normal speculative imaging often produced by architects, and lead to new presentation techniques benefiting the whole profession as the world embraces 3D, virtual, and holographic media. From the test results with our 3D projectors, now running in Melbourne, the Australian pavilion at the 2010 Venice Biennale will be a standout attraction.”

The Creative Directors said those shortlisted were far more than hypotheticals. Each uniquely responded to future challenges including population growth, environmental degradation, dwindling resources and climate change. Each entry reflected a highly creative diversity of possibilities fused with a diversity of design that mapped out possible cities of the future.

12th Venice Architecture Biennale:
Vernissage: 26, 27, 28 August 2010;
Exhibition: 29 August – 28 November 2010

SOURCE: Australian Institute of Architects

RELATED NEWS STORY: Sydney Morning Herald – Living in the future, with under-harbour views

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 72
RSS FEED EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION Follow Us on Twitter Join Our LinkedIN Group Become a Fan on Facebook Circle us on google+