As an entry to an international ideas competition, HM White proposes to develop seven-acres of former industrial land on New York City’s East River as both a dynamic public park organized for waterfront recreation and a unique cultural venue choreographed for theatrical expression and experience—“Performance Park”.
Continue reading Williamsburg Waterfront Performance Venue | HM White
KCAP Architects & Planners presented their vision for NEO Brussels, the redevelopment of the Heysel plateau, to the political arena, the press and the public. The team, KCAP working together with advisors Arup and Fakton, won the international design competition in September 2010. The area is one of the most strategic locations in the Brussels Metropole Region. The design for NEO Brussels aims to strengthen the significance of the Heysel, and to qualify it within a framework for sustainable development.
HASSELL is pleased to announce it has been awarded first prize in the Zhuhai Cross Gate CBD competition. The winning scheme included the landscape architecture for the Cross Gate CBD, an area of 94.65 hectares located between Macau and Hengqin Island in Southern China.
Continue reading HASSELL wins Zhuhai Cross Gate CBD Landscape Design Competition
The design concept for the Central Park is based on a contemporary expression of classic urban design principles and archetypes. The park design will be a celebration of the Sowwah Island vision, seamlessly combing the infrastructure and cultural context of the Abu Dhabi 2030 plan, with a contemporary aesthetic complementing the variety of modern buildings in the heart of the Central Business District. Sowwah Island Central Park is a single composition of diverse component parts derived from a layered system of physical and social determinants, tempered by human and cultural behavioral patterns. The influence of each layer is determined by its relative importance to shape the form of the park as well as influence the design philosophy and project approach. It is meant to be experienced and viewed from a variety of vantage points and to convey a meaningful experience to each one, holistically perceived as an artistic creation in itself.
Continue reading Sowwah Island Central Park and Spanish Steps | Abu Dhabi UAE | MESA
The announcement of the finalists of the International Design Competition for Aberdeen’s City Garden Project was revealed today. The six finalists have been selected to go on to the second stage of the competition after a unanimous vote by the jury panel. Over 55 submissions were received from across the world with many opting to partner with UK design firms.
The finalists are:
• Diller Scofidio and Renfro (New York) / Keppie Design (Glasgow) working in association with landscape architect Olin Studio.
• Foster + Partners (London) / Vladimir Djurovic Landscape Architecture (Beirut) working in association with cost and construction consultant Gardiner & Theobald
• Snøhetta (Oslo) / Gareth Hoskins Architects (Glasgow) working in association with engineering and multi-discipline company AECOM
• Gustafson Porter (London) / Niall McLaughlin Architects (London) working with urban analyst Space Syntax, engineer Arup and cost adviser Jackson Coles
• Mecanoo Architecten (Delft, Netherlands) / Cooper Cromar (Glasgow) working in association with landscape architect Ian White, engineer Buro Happold and cost adviser Davis Langdon (AECOM).
• West 8 urban design & landscape architecture (Rotterdam, Netherlands) / Archial Group (Aberdeen) working in association with engineer Arup and cost and construction consultant Turner & Townsend
The £140m City Garden Project will radically transform a strategic central location, raising the nineteenth-century Union Terrace Gardens and covering over the unattractive Denburn dual carriageway and railway line.
Continue reading Finalists announced for Aberdeen’s City Garden international design competition